Birthing a New Heart-Centered Paradigm
Part 2 of 5
‘The Current Science of Disconnection’
By Nick Terrone
“Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it”
- Ellen Goodman
This may seem a little ridiculous to you as you read it, but it’s the reality of so many people in today’s society.
Because it’s based on a western world view about the nature of what it means to be part of society. This world view has been developed over time and is of course based on a set of fundamental scientific assumptions about the nature of reality. This is all well and good and exactly how human civilization has evolved and advanced from the beginning of time.
But what if these fundamental set of assumptions we incomplete or inaccurate all together?
In my first blog, part 1 of 5: ‘Birthing a New Heart-Centered Paradigm: The Current Broken Paradigm’ I set the stage for this new birthing journey. In part 2 of this blog series, it’s important to become familiar with the fundamental scientific assumptions which on the one hand has been the cause for some amazing advancements in history, but on the other could be holding us back from experiencing and birthing the new heart-centered paradigm to bring forth the next stage of our evolution.
The heart is a place of community, compassion, empathy, cooperation. In a word it is the place of ‘connection’. The mind, as wonderful as it is, is a place of individuality, separation from other, it’s the seat of the ego, and in a word is the seat of disconnection. This i believe is NOT by human design, but simply a result of the story of science, which is a story of disconnection. This story I’m convinced has come about predominately as a result of mind/brain/ego thinking, which like I said, has served us in many wonderful ways, but perhaps the crazy world in which we find ourselves in today is a sign that maybe we’ve gone as far as we can with this model and world view.
However before we can start to investigate the new science of connection, we should first become familiar with the scientific assumptions that have lead us the technologies, worldview and society we have today. Below are 8 of the most powerful driving forces of thought that have been guiding scientific inquiry to date.
* At the most basic of levels, the nature of the universe, as well as all the material ‘stuff’ in it (as well as human beings) behave like a mechanical machine.
* For us to understand everything there is to know about this machine we need to break it down into smaller and smaller bits and then study each bit as being completely separate and in isolation to all the other bits.
* There is no underlying system or architecture of organisation and because of this there is no reason to look for one or include it into the current model of physics and scientific hypothesis.
* If there is any system of organization encoded within the mechanical universe it is all being done by pure chance or by random events.
* There is no intelligence or consciousness within the material components or parts that make up the machine and this is why we are basically living in a ‘dead universe’.
* If evolution is heading in any particular direction at all, it is towards less and less order, things are moving towards less organisation and/or coherence.
* Everything in the universe on all scales is separated by space or vacuum and because of this; all things everywhere are inherently disconnected and separate from everything else.
* Something that is happening in one system, which is inherently a closed or isolated system, could not possibly be influencing and interacting with a closed isolated system somewhere else because the space that is between them is ‘empty’ and has no energy in it.
So there you have it. These are some of the most fundamental assumptions that our current scientific story is using to try and shed light and understand on who we are, where we have come from, why we are here and the nature of reality. If this story was to be strictly adhered to then by definition humans are not conscious beings at all. It’s just not possible according to these assumptions. It suggests that the parts we are made out of are not conscious at all but simply dead, unintelligent matter that is being moved around inside us.
If this is true, then the question becomes, at what point does consciousness emerge from non-conscious matter? More on that in Part 4 of this blog series.
This reductionist materialistic model of studying reality assumes that if we know everything about the parts of a system then this will somehow explain the whole system in its entirety. This kind of thinking reminds me of something I once read by the famous British stand up philosopher and writer Alan Watts, who said:
“For centuries scientists and philosophers asked themselves ‘what is the stuff that we are made of?’. A carpenter makes tables out of wood but I ask you, is a tree made of wood? Obviously not. A tree is wood; it’s not made of it. Is a mountain made of rock? Obviously not, it is rock.”
I urge you to take the time to read over the above assumptions that have brought us to the world we are living in today and ask yourself, ‘is it any wonder that we are now living in a world where people are feeling more disconnected than ever before?’ Despite the advent of social media to try and ‘connect us’, we are feeling more isolated and disconnected from ourselves, from each other, nature and the world around us than ever before – something has got to change!
In order for a new paradigm and world view to emerge we must first become aware of the new science and physics of the future, what I have called ‘The Science of Oneness’. Simply put, it’s the science that is showing strong evidence for the interconnectivity of all things everywhere! It’s the science that we are not insignificant beings disconnected and isolated from one another, but in fact that we are part of an intelligent, organized, intelligent web of interdependent information and energy exchange. The simple question this science is encouraging to answer is simple:
How would your life change is you knew you were connected to everything?
In part 3 of 5 in this blog series ‘Birthing a New Heart-Centered Paradigm’, I am going to share with you the scientific assumptions that is driving a new frontier in science that will then lead us nicely into part 4 as we explore the connection between this new science and your intelligent and intuitive heart and then part 5 where I will bring it all together into the practical application of all this to help produce BEING.
I am going to blog and document the journey of creating 1000 Ripple Effects across the world.